Beauregard Town is named for Elias Beauregard, whose property was plotted in 1806 in order to create Baton Rouge’s second subdivision.
The subdivision was to provide lots occupying the southern side of the existing town, and it featured many open plazas, including a central plaza with a chruch, approached by four diagonally running streets. Alas, the diagonal streets survive to this day, but the open plazas are victims to progress.
|Captain Elias Beauregard|
According to the plan, a formal garden was to occupy the eastern end of the principal street (named Government Street, or Calle de Gobierno since Baton Rouge was under Spanish rule at the time). This street was designed to be wider than the other streets to emphasize its importance, and the developers envisioned a cluster of government buildings along this thoroughfare. In the very center was a large square dedicated for use by the church. Beauregard Town was then and continues to be boardered by directional streets North Boulevard, East Boulevard, and South Boulevard in their respective directions, and by the Mississippi River to the West.
Although Government Street was never lined with the government building envisioned, the Old State Capitol was constructed within its boundaries, and many current city govenment facilities lie at the northwest corner of the subdivision.
In 1862, Beauregard Town and the rest of Baton Rouge were occupied by the Union Army during the Civil War. Many structures were burned, or suffered damage by bombardment.
Most of the current buildings in the subdivision were constructed between 1900 and 1930.
In the 2000, the city of Baton Rouge renewed efforts to revitalize the downtown area. Beaurgard Town is often considered in city planning meetings even to this day.